View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
cheford

Welding on your frame

I've never done any extensive modifications to a frame and seeing the work that a lot of you are doing I think this is the place to start asking questions. When I asked some of the trademen welders at my place of employment they told me that you couldn't legally weld on a frame and especially what I had wanted to do which was cutting a frame in half and shortening the wheel base, but I see it being done. I understand about doing verticle welds on the frame and the stresses they create which brings the question of what is the best way to cut the frame in two, at 45% angles, straight up and down or the staggered half through the frame horizontal for 1 foot and then verticle down to the bottom.
If there are stress points on verticle welds how do you guys avoid it when you Z the frame and do the C ing of the rear frame rails, and do you have trouble getting to pass safety inspections. I have concerns sense I have shortened my frame of which was done straight through ther frame and c-channeled using 1/4 plate and feel that it is more than strong enough but how do the guys that sign the certificate for road worthiness view it?
cheford is offline   Reply With Quote