View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #24
Sinisterspeed

Re: A few questions about a 4x4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusflash View Post
I currently own a 69 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive pickup and want to do a chassis swap to four wheel drive. I have been searching for a 71 or 72 3/4 ton 4x4 to donate the chassis. So far I have not had much luck. Today I went to look at a 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4. It is on the Spokane area Craigslist offered for $1350. The GMC has an automatic trans,power steering,power brakes,some A/C and rust,the bad has been swapped and is very solid though. The big dilemma is the cab. It is an A/C cab and also has running lights so I am considering doing the rust repair and using the cab. My understanding is that Chevy and GMC cabs are the same(and I need the high hump floor anyway). Is this correct? The other question is about the rear end. My 69 has a HO52 with a locker which I would like to use. The GMC has a Dana 60. Will a leaf spring HO52(2 or 4wd) bolt to the springs in place of the Dana 60. I suppose the Dana could be limited slip but I don't know since the SPID tag was gone. My 69 also has a 427 and a Turbo 400 in it so a motor and trans upgrade may also happen. I think that I could get the GMC for $750-$1000. Any answers,thoughts ,opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially from you guys who have done this type of swap.

zeusflash your heading in the right direction in my opinion. This is the easiest fastest way to get to the finished project. As I was saying earlier in the thread you could use the HO52 if you wanted but it would most likely save you grief and expense if you just used the one from the donor truck to get it together at least. Keep your HO52 until you figure out what your ratio's are and will be when your done to see if maybe you only need to change one axle to get your desired ratio or if you have to do both anyway then use which ever axles you want. As far as the cab its up to you. You can use the small hump but you would have to install the trans and tcase together as you cannot reach the top bolts between them unless you have a body lift then it wont matter either way. MSGross had talked about his axle on his K10 that he was into very cheap. You are looking into 3/4 ton stuff much better and much stronger thus cannot be had for the prices he was quoting from his experiences. I have done this using 1/2 ton dana 44/60 , had a 10 bolt 3/4 front (junk) matched to a Dana 60 rear, 3/4 ton 44/60 and now 1 ton dana 60/corp14. Bank for the buck you cant go wrong with what your looking at. 3/4 ton 44/60 can be had pretty cheap and its pretty strong. I have never broke a 60 rear myself running tires up to 40" posi with 500hp BBC and burning em off on dry pavement. OH, it can be done also with a 73-87 chassis but the frame jogs are different so the need for some fab work will be needed. I just used the axles out of em when I have done it. Best way to go is what your doing IMHO stick with 67-72 3/4 ton 4x4 for a donor and you will cruise right through it since mostly its all bolt on anyway 2wd or 4wd.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote