View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #17
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Re: My $900 '66 Suburban project begins...

Here we go: http://www.high-impact.net/transmiss...roverdrive.htm

Two sticks! Just like the '55 Kenworth I learned in!

I came to the conclusion that I want a resto-rod, but I don't want to turn my truck into a car. While I'm still going to do discs, dual master cylinder, and lowering, financial discussions with my supremely tolerant wife led me to the conclusion that I want a family cruiser that can pull a small old-school travel trailer--something to make winter surf trips here in Oregon a warm reality for my kids.

So, I'm keeping my low-mile posi, 4:11s, and granny-tranny, and keeping my truck a truck. I love the idea of 27% overdrive, and four more gears, and that great old-truck gear-whine. Wasn't planning on this one setting any speed records anyway, though the next project will involve a 472 Caddy I've got, and hopefully a short-wide done gasser style...

Anyway, I've been surfing around here, the HAMB, the Stovebolt page, etc, and there's some insane projects happening. Too cool. Everything from budget rats to high-dollar restos, and everything in between. So many cool trucks, and countless styles.

I think I'll try something somewhere in the middle--call it a utility-rod--and see how it pans out. I'm thinking dark green with cream bumpers and 16" steelies, cut springs and some performance goodies for my 292...

Okay, dream time is over for now. Glad I have a concrete idea about where I'm heading.

Thanks for helping me shape my thinking. Comment away!

Last edited by Oregoon; 11-01-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: I's bad et spulin
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote