View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
454_72_4X4

Re: Purchasing a new laptop. What to look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
First, look at the laptop descriptions. Most new laptops come with Vista and a 14" or larger LCD. If it is labeled as a netbook, it may have XP or linux, but also a 9" LCD... also be careful not to confuse "notebook" with "netbook". Laptop is a general term, Notebook or Tablet is the normal laptops, netbook is the small low power/low speed laptops.

Second, Vista is still a pain but for the preconfigured laptops, it should work fine, just make sure you get at least 2GB of memory. Windows 7 is on the horizon and I have been suggesting people keep an eye out for the release date as Windows 7 is so much better and faster than Vista.

Third, even a $500 laptop will be better than your dv1000.
Wellscrewball, That helped a bunch and answered one of my questions before I even asked! LOL

I just seen one of the Netbooks at Wally world tonight. I didn't even notice there was no disc drive. Guess that puts those out of the running.
Just curious though, with no disc drive how do you get more software on them? Do ya have to buy an external disc drive?

Couple other items to ad to my want list;
Media card reader (needs to support XD and SD cards at least. My camera uses XD, everything else uses SD or micro SD)

Built in bluetooth capability would be nice. I have a USB Bluetooth gizmo though, so it wouldn't be absolutely necessary.

I looked at a 15.4 screen size at radio shack while I was there gettin thermal paste. That's not a bad size. I can live with that. LOL

DVD Super Multi or DVD±R/RW Is there a difference in these?

Processor GHz (Bigger number is better?)

Bloatware removal (Seein this alot on Vista systems. Is this somethin I can do or do I have to have it done?)

2Gb minimum for Vista (is this gonna have to be upgraded as time goes on? I know it helped my DV when I installed an additional 1Gb after the first year or more)

Expansion port (My DV has one of these but I've never used it. Good to have or just excess for most of us? What's it actually used for anyway? LOL)

Serial bus card slot (Again my DV has one. It usually has the remote stored in there, but I bought a 2 port USB card for it awhile back since one of my USB ports got destroyed.
Wouldn't mind havin the slot on the next computer since I already have the 2 USB card.)

Power cord (Off the wall question here. Are most of 'em interchangable as long as the connector is the same? My main concern here is that I have a power cord for my DV that plugs directly into a cigarette lighter so I don't have to use an inverter. makes it alot more handy for GPS navigation.
Is there a name for the different plug in styles so I could compare without seein them in person? [Online])
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote