View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #179
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

I got my shipment of new engine parts today. Oil pump, oil pump drive shaft, oil pick up screen, front cover and bolts, etc., oil dipstick, new timing chain set. I also got the whole cam and lifter kit from summit. I kind of planned on reusing the cam, but I needed lifters. Once I saw the prices it was only another $40 to get a cam with them.

I got the rings, rod and main bearings and a gasket set from a ebay store for like $80 shipped, the summit parts were another $159 shipped. Got the rear main seal for $10 at napa. I paid $75 for the short block off ebay about 2 years ago. I spent some money getting the block tanked, honed, new cam bearings and freeze plugs and painted, and the crank journals polished. I don't remember what that cost me, but I think it was about $120. So my short block with rebuild will cost around $444.

Cripes, that more than doubled my investment. All the top end stuff will be transferred from the other engine. I need to get another vibration damper too, but they are cheap. I might be able to get one for free. I got the pistons and rods all cleaned up last night. I need to check the ring end gap and then start putting those in. I might have time tommorow, otherwise it will wait til the weekend. It may be a while before the swap happens, but we'll see.

I will be using the short block from the Jimmy for a more solid rebuild for my C-10. It's a 4 bolt main block. I would like to build a stroker, but might just settle for a robust 350. I have a 283 in it now I built back in high school. That will smoke the tires just fine, I just want more grunt, with maybe a shot of NOS for a trip down the 1/8 mile. That engine will be $200 coming off my total, since the engine will be used elsewhere or maybe sold. To be fair I need to keep the cost of the heads on this project though. They typically will go for $65 around here, so the total is at $722 and I'll sell the exhaust manifolds later. There are so many things to fix, I can't let myself think about it. I just need to focus on the task at hand.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 04-01-2009 at 08:53 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote