View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #131
bac1755

Re: The Project Havoc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
Bac, to be brutally honest, i never really thought of that. I have never done that on any of the customer frames that i have done in the past and not once have had a problem. And the other thing i would honestly not know where around here to magnaflux things or how to stress relieve it. I will be the first to admit that i do not know everything. Any ideas will be appreciated, i take criticism well, so do not worry about hurting my feelings.

Thanks James
To be honest most people don't think about it ( or think there welds need it). Most places that do structural welding of any sort should have the equipment, I'm sure it will very from place to place on the price. the form of stress relief I'm familiar with sends a vibration through the metal to relief the stress from welding, heat and what not. then you would magnaflux it to find any cracks made form the stress relief, then you can fix them. The only reason I ask is I use to weld for a company and would pieces from the size of my hand to main frames for VERY LARGE mining equipment, we did this to anything leaving our weld shop. I have had welds the size of my thumb that after stress relief crack out. I'm sure you wouldn't have a catastrophic failure, but cracks can form and then from there get worse and start rusting.
Now if the only place I could find wanted any more than 500.00 I wouldn't worry about it.