View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
kcackler

Re: Best way to get at the starter solenoid?

Starting to get a bit upset at this whole situation now...

I've put two new solenoids on the truck today, and neither of them have worked, so it's obviously (hopefully) not just two duds...

Just to make sure my system is kosher: I've got two large wires that both connect to the large bolt on the top of the solenoid (when it's on the truck). I've then got a third small wire that connects to the "S" terminal (At least, there is an "S" next to the bolt)

The new solenoid looks nearly identical to my old one, so I'm almost positive it's the right part. The only difference is that on my old one, it's got a copper pipe on the bottom that connects to a terminal on the starter. On the new one, that connection doesn't extend all the way to the starter, but there is a small copper looking pipe in the package that fits between the solenoid and the starter. Besides that, the two parts are identical in every way.

When I put the new solenoid in, I get nothing. No clicks or sounds of any kind. My battery gauge goes down a bit when I turn the key, but the truck doesn't actually try to start. As soon as I put the old one back in, she starts right up.

I'm at my wit's end here...Any ideas?