View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: frame pics of slammed trucks with gooseneck balls

Allow me to throw in my .02 on the subject.

First off, slammed truck, well they just look cool.

But they aren't very practical. That is just the honest truth. If you do nothing but stick to your little ville and never travel far, and have good flat wide open roads where you live, then you may be able to live happily with a slammed dually, and tow your trailer all day long and rarely have an issue.

However, paving companies have a really bad habit of making less than perfect roads, and governments have an even worse track record of replacing them before they are absolutely crumbling.

And understand where I am coming from, I am a Former OTR driver with over 500,000 miles behind me in big trucks, running loads as wide a 14' and as heavy as 148,000 lbs! Believe me when I tell you that I know a thing or two about towing.

You want to lower your truck a little, great, do it with air bags, and make sure if you notch the frame that it is welded solid, and that you box it in fore and aft of the notch, because if you don't, you are going to have issues. As well, you can build a goose neck ball mount right into the top of your bridge. It will work well. but you will need to again make sure everything is structural.

For myself I have an 85 3+3 Camper special Dually, I am not going to slam it, I am going to however put air ride on it, and I will not notch my frame or disrupt my bed floor, why? because I want to be able to use my truck like a truck, I am going to make it work!

Air ride is a great thing to do to a truck, it will for one make it ride better, and it will give you the ability to carry weight in a more controlled manner. Soon I will be jumping into this build pretty hard, stuffing a Cummins in the truck, and installing the air ride in a setup that is built specifically for towing. Because when done my truck will have to handle the 50' long triple axle goose neck flat bed trailer I am building to pull behind it.

I did find a picture of a truck that I really like.

This truck is functional, it looks damn good with out being lowered, it has panache! and it could easily go to work with out having to worry about getting high centered coming out of a parking lot!

I promise you this though, if you make your truck functional you will enjoy it much more. To make my point for me, that slammed dually in the first pic I posted was owned and built by a guy who goes by the name of "drag nasty" he has since sold it.

That being said, instead of taking the time and effort to make your truck into a slammed truck, why not make it into a functional truck that is a pleasure to use and drive!