View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #152
menace121978

Re: Finally "Silvers" build thread!! ('78 swb 2wd silverado)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I started reading this build thread when you first got going but didn't catch-up until yesterday/today (took a bit to get through all the progress). You're moving along @ a great, consistent pace which is the best thing for a frame-off build. The attention to detail is fantastic. The thoroughness while keeping the budget somewhat 'low' makes a build like this much more appealing to the masses (regular guys like me). Nice job!!

Did you physically measure the rear rotors from the BB kit? Are they actually 1.25" x12" like the fronts?

Suggestion: If you're opting to rebuild anything on the motor, swap in a stroker crank. It's undetectable by the smog PoPo & w/the right heads, intake, & cam (all smog legal of course), you'll easily surpass the 300hp goal (more like 300+ @ the rear wheels).
scoti, thank you for the kind words. i'm doing my best to keep everything going in the same direction. this is my 1st build and keeping it somewhat low buck but still fixing everything w/ new stuff is my goal to keep my wife happy and not have to bust into savings..... yet!! i know if this breaks the bank i wont be allowed to do another. (2wd K5) doing everything "right" and the details are whats going to make this truck "seem" like a high dollar build! i'm having a lot of fun!! as for the brakes i measured a hair under 11 5/8" diameter and a hair over 1 1/4" thick.
we'll see about the crank. i'll need to bust into the bottom end and get new rods and stuff and i've never dealt w/ that before besides high school auto. so i'll start looking into it. thanks again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
Looks super man, the brakes look better then mine.
thanks trav, yours are the one i copied from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAnimals View Post
I agree, a buddy of mine had a 76 with a roller 383, he ran the smog pump and passed just fine.
thanks animal, we'll have to talk.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list

Last edited by menace121978; 07-04-2009 at 04:11 PM.