View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #267
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmaster View Post
Yes, soldering iron skills are a definite plus to have, but for the most part a professional grade crimping tool and barrel wire crimps are just enough to do the job. My preference is to solder and double shrink. Note, that the B-Body bulkhead pass though header contains AC vacuum lines and ECM harness. It's a square looking bracket - see my photos. Needless to say making a square opening in the firewall is tough. I used a 2-1/4 punch (52mm) and standard OE rubber bushing to pass ECM wires since there was none in '75. In your case you should have CCC harness that will have to come out, but you can save OE rubber bushing by gently removing CCC harness wires and replacing them with donor wires. For ease of re-installation I just cut through rubber grommet to allow ease of wire installation. Then I used vulcanizing rubber (windshield) sealant to make it whole again - not very clean, but it good enough.

//RF
RF,
I have sufficient soldering skills, I'm confident about that part and I prefer heat shrink tubing also. As far as the cut-out in the fire wall, I looked at a coworkers 93 blazer and his is just like the car and is just left and under the AC equipment. ( I like this idea) I have some sheetmetal experience too. I have been in the Tooling and Machine shop business since the late 80s, so I can fab just about anything necessary. Right now, this is low on my priority list. I'm really worried about the interface with the truck harness more than anything. I am confident with you guys helping me we will have this puppy running in the next few weeks.....months....before Christmas....Before he hits 16 next Feb.
It's all good boys!
Thanks,
Mike

RF, I found this pic on that Jeep thread link you posted on page 3, it should help me a lot:

Last edited by mcbassin; 08-10-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added pic
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote