View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #194
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

I bought an oil pressure test gage to use a while back, knowing that I was going to try it on this engine before I did the swap. You know, why fix it if it aint broke. I never really trusted the one in the cluster. VTBlazer suggested this a long time ago and I finally got around to it. Anyway, turns out I got 45 psi at idle.

So there had to be enough pressure during the first start up to at least keep the bearings from being wiped.

This makes a big difference in the cost of the project. Total layout rests at $528 because I'll stick with this engine. It starts as good as my wifes denali as long as you pump the hell out of it first.

I tried figuring out some of the electrical today. I want to get the flashers working so when I'm cruising down the shoulder of the highway to get it to my driveway, I'm more or less legal. It's about 1 mile from town, 1.5 from my house. The only wiring stuff I did prior to today was just to get the engine running. I hooked up a few more plugs to the harness, replaced some fuses, found a couple things to replace, but got no closer really to having any of the lights working. I've got broken ground wires, broken bulbs, corroded terminals, wires that don't match the published diagrams, etc.

Now that I don't have to swap shortblocks, I just want to get it home to put in the exhaust, replace the brakes, and sort through some wiring. Oh yeah, and use my pressure washer on the beast to brighten it up just a bit. I ordered a set of headers for my C-10, but they won't fit a 2wd, so I will use them on this. They are very nice Hooker Competition headers, ceramic coated for $125 shipped. The rest of the exhaust is the stuff I took off my C-10 because it's all getting replaced. So now the total will creep up to $653.

I think I'll bring it home this week. It's just easier to work on by the garage, rather than in the weeds. I am not looking forward to this brake job. I really don't think it will go well at all.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote