View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #161
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

A cup of coffee, the kitchen table and a shop towel laid down, the stage is set
I’ve rebuilt many small parts at the kitchen table it’s always benefited me in keeping track of all the small peaces.

The Windshield Wiper Motor was working OK before I started the rebuild so I just cleaned off the dirt and did a basic electrical check of the motor, switch and pump solenoid with a ohm meter. The star washer on the switch is very important, without it the switch case is not grounded and the system will not work (switch supply’s the ground to the motor and solenoid).

After many years in the truck the grease on the washer pump cam actuating arm was dirty and gummed up. The arm didn’t move freely and was probably the reason the washer pump was not working.

Name:  Windshield-Wiper-and-Pump-1.jpg
Views: 9899
Size:  63.9 KB

Disassembled the Washer Pump and found very little wear if any on the parts, just needed cleaning the old grease off. Since I had it apart any way ordered a Water Pump Repair Kit 36-4082 from LMC to have new seals and check valves (kit is on order and expected in a few days). Just a note to any one disassembling the pump piston, push the piston in approximately 1/8 inch and turn it 90 degrees and the piston will come off the slider.

Used a light grease similar to white lithium for slide, ratchet and cam arm pivot point (spent about 20 minuets working it into the pivot area). On the star cam on the motor will be using heaver grease and for installing the new seals on the pump a light coat of Vaseline.

Name:  Windshield-Wiper-and-Pump-2.jpg
Views: 8423
Size:  53.0 KB

Things have settled down around hear and I have time to dive into the rebuild again. Definitely a lot more enjoyable than doing other things for me, enjoy your build.