View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 02:41 AM   #365
rfmaster

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Just to be clear...

I can eleminate the EGR if I get a new mailorder PROM burned and I should run fine?

There is not an older (vintage) EGR valve that will work on my setup?

I think that the older EGR valves, which would fit on the new intake, are for carburated engines and will not work with TBI?
Pancake

The answer is yes. You can install EGR block off plate and get a mail order chip that disables EGR function. ECM will run just fine without throwing trouble codes. On my 75 I did just that - simply because my 3/4 ton did not had EGR to begin with and running EGR tends to lean out mixtures at part throttle. For 75 HD carbed applications EGR was outside the scope of emission certifications - as HD application did not have cats installed!

In grand scheme of things EGR function reduces NOX levels and improves mileage - which is good all around. Getting EGR to work will take research and some effort. You should be able to use carbed EGR with TBI. You'll need EGR control solenoid which acts as on/off vacuum switch controllable by ECM. Look for early 80's EGR from 350 Impala - compare its flange to the gasket you have on hand. Edelbrock 3701 covers pre 86 heads - which leads me to think that most pre 86 EGR valves should work.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote