View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #379
brontotx

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontotx View Post
Correct - my understanding/belief is that burning the optimized program to a PROM for use in a stock ECM is doable, although I've never tried it or confirmed it with Bob at Dynamic EFI (he's pretty good about answering e-mails quickly, so I'll send him one).
68 TT: the answer is YES, you can burn the EBL optimized program to a PROM that you can use in a stock ECM. Bob's answer suggests that it still may not be optimal, but he burns a PROM and has it in a stock ECM as a back-up for his on EBL, so it should work to at least get you home.

Here's his response:
Mark,

Yes, what you suppose is viable. With a stockish engine a stock ECM with a stock calibration will be able to run the engine. And get the vehicle from point A to point B.

If the engine combination is far from stock then a stock ECM with the major calibration parameters from the EBL will also get the vehicle on it's way. The major calibration areas are the VE table, the SA table, and the injector base pulse constant (BPC).

I do this myself. Although I've never needed it. I carry a stock ECM with a modified calibration in it in the trunk. Figure that push comes to shove I can continue to drive the vehicle with it. Won't get the best performance or mileage, but that doesn't matter.

One item on your side is the construction of the EBL board. The parts are industrial temperature rated, and the board is conformal coated. The same as the OEM GM ECMs. It is built for reliability and longevity.

Regards,

BobR.
Dynamic EFI
Good luck again!

Mark
brontotx is offline   Reply With Quote