View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #170
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Looking for the right angle
Bringing small parts together to reach the end desired goal

I haven’t had good experiences with the stock washer nozzles used on these trucks. Plus the ones on the truck had been bent and hose added by the previous owner in an attempted to create a wiper arm spray nozzle.

I picked up some more modern type universal washer nozzles that are found generally mounted in the hood. I didn’t want to mount them in the hood so I set about to create a bracket to hide them under the cowl close to the stock nozzle location. With this idea in mind you can fallow along as I figured out what angle to mount them at.

Using the spray angle nozzle adjustments and mocking up a bracket to see if it would work.

Name:  Washer-Nozzle-Angle.gif
Views: 8670
Size:  98.9 KB

The forward area under where the cowl mounts to the cab is small and cramped to add a bracket; modifications will be needed to the cowl seal for clearance. The new nozzle bracket dimensions and bend angle was determined from the mocked up bracket.

Name:  Washer-Nozzle-Bracket.jpg
Views: 7825
Size:  73.1 KB

Decided to use 8-32 SS screws with 8-32 rivet nuts to mount the new bracket, the screws have to be as close to the aft edge as possible for clearance to the cowl. Could have used sheet metal screws or welded the bracket to the cab. Also drilled a .5 DIA hole in forward surface below the new bracket location for the hose.

The fwd area of the cowl is normally attached with sheet metal screws I’m going to replace them with 10-32 SS pan head screws and 10-32 rivet nuts (you can see one of the 10-32 rivet nuts in the picture below)

Name:  Washer-Nozzle-Bracket-2.jpg
Views: 7852
Size:  83.3 KB

See next post for continuation and more pictures