View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: 78 K20 modernization project

Future plans for the truck include a conversion from the SM465 manual transmission to a 4L80E transmission and to install the nearly completed TBI 350 I have in the shed along with with it.

The TBI 350 has been rebuilt and converted to hydraulic roller with the parts scavenged from a Vortec truck. It should wake up the TBI motor tremendously. I just have a few more pieces to purchase before I can finish assembling the engine.

My knees are shot so the heavy clutch is painful to use and when paired with the 5.13 gears the truck has it makes for some very frequent clutch usage.

The original owner swapped in 5.13 gears so towing his fifth wheel was a little easier with the mighty 170 hp 350.

I may put a T-400 into the truck to get it converted to an automatic before I do the 4L80E conversion. I have the 4L80E but I need to find a good donor vehicle with the NP205 and a T-400 to be able to make the conversion to the 4L80E. I can run another type of transfer case that is more common and do the T-400 conversion any time I have the time to tear it apart.

Once the TBI engine goes into the K20 I will transplant the current 350 into my old basket case of a 67 C-10 truck to give it some new life and begin its transformation into a 1970 era looking version of the modern sport trucks.

The C-10 will get C3 Vette disc at all four corners with PBR aluminum calipers, quick ratio steering, big sway bars and a whole host of spare parts I have from my 68 Camaro. It will also get converted from a long bed truck to a short bed clone and be converted from six lug to five lug. The rear wheel wells will get widened out to the full width of the frame clearance so the largest rear tires possible can be tucked in the wells.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote