View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 AM   #563
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: How about some pics of 73-91 crew cabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
It's unfortunate that you feel so strongly about something that you don't know anything about. Maybe if you took the time to educate yourself about air springs and what they are capable of you might not have so much hate for them.

In the future, please keep your posts in a positive manner. This type of negative posting is not acceptable on this forum.
Woah hold the phone!

I never said I didn’t like air ride suspension, I love air ride, I would take a bagged truck over a sprung truck every day.

This is my old ride, I put down damn near 500,000 miles in it in the time I owned it.

I had dump valves on each of the trailer axles and I could use them to walk the trailer sideways allowing me to back into holes that most people could never dream of.

The thing to note in this picture are the tool boxes under the trailer, I had 8 of them on there when I started out, they cost 650.00 each. At the front of the trailer I had 6” of ground clearance. The trailer was a huge pain being set up that way because I always had to be crazy careful because I was always hitting the tool boxes on the ground. The reason there are only 4 of the boxes on it in this pic because one night running down the road in western Missouri I went over a set of train tracks doing 65 mph and ripped them off tossing about 6 grand worth of boxes, tarps, tools and rigging all over the place.

Eventually I would wind up removing all the boxes from the truck and placing a new set between the spread axles to protect them. This was because everywhere I went I was always having problems with setting the boxes down and scraping and busting the mounts. I cringe to even think about how much money I spent patching that thing up.

I also spent about 6 months driving an 8 axle haul truck that had 5 inches of ground clearance, when fully loaded, grossed out there were times I would weigh 136,000 lbs and it was a huge pain all the time setting it down on driveways and humps in the road as well as train tracks.

This ties into why I said I don’t like taking a crew cab dually and slamming it, because it makes the truck less functional as a hauler, when you have a long wheel base low to the ground you have to be very careful not to scrape, and even with air ride and the ability jack the truck up you are still going to have to be really careful not to scrape and jack your truck up.

Also when running the semi wheels turned down to 22” so you can run a super lo pro tire, they don’t have a good weight rating, for instance a tire like the Kumho Ecsta 285/30 r22 it only has a 1,819 lb load rating, times 4 tires that’s only 7276 lbs, where as the Michelin XDS2 that I am going to run on my dually is a 245/70 R19.5 with a 4940 lb load rating, that means times 4 tires you are looking at 19,760 lbs capacity.

That coupled with an air ride suspension that will handle the weight that means I could get 12,484 lbs more on the back end of my truck.

So when I say that slamming a dually is destroying the functionality of it as a hauler, this is what I am referring to. And to be honest I have seen a couple of em that I really liked the look of. Like Dragnasty’s truck,

I love the look of it, man I think it looks mean. I wouldn’t mind having it, but I also wouldn’t want to drive it cross country for the reasons I outlined above.

And I have a semi lowered dually.

I have also owned a couple of half tons that were lowered, I had a 95 1500 x cab short bed, and a 71 c/10 that were both lowered I really enjoyed em, My grandpa has the 95 now, when he passes on I am going to get it back, then I will restore and bag it.

Another one I really like is your truck.

I used to have a 78 that is identical but a 4x4, 4x4s4allie has it now.

And for my girlfriend I am looking at getting her a 2WD K5 and lowering it with air ride.

I hope that this clarify’s the point I was getting at, and it might be worth your while to check out the build on my 85, im putting air ride on it and stuffing a Cummins in it, as well I am building a 48’ tilt deck tripple axle goose neck to pull behind it that will have air ride as well.

Also my 94 3500hd wrecker is eventually going to get an air ride suspension.

I have to get my other wrecker built first.

Just one thing though, please dont say I dont know what I am talking about because I have about 700,000 miles worth of towing experince behind me. I have done it in 47 states, 3 canadian provences and mexico, in about every weather condition imagineable.

I think it is safe to say I am speaking from experince.