Thread: 1969 Short Wide
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #139
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: 1969 Short Wide

Okay, it's been a week and my progress is so slow it's killing me just a little each day. The new cab dolly is doing the job!

I finished the radius on the passenger side firewall. I don't have a way to roll a lip on sheet metal so I just added an edge the slow way (welded).

Next, I started working on the passenger side rust repair. Between the lack of the proper tools and cold weather it has been a slow process.
I cut the p.o. rocker off and got into the rust. I wasn't planning on getting so deep into it, but you guys know how these "rust free" cabs go, when you get in there, it always has more rust than expected. I also didn't want to change the inner rocker so I just cut all the rust out and welded new metal in. I used rust conversion primer to cover before adding another layer. Today I ordered some of that copper weld through primer that Nuke is using on his projects. Hope to get it in thursday. I am planning to mount the door to check for clearance issues and weld it all in tomorrow (hopefully). BTW, these aftermarket parts require some "tweeking to make them fit. On to the pics:

Flimsy without the lip/flange

Lip welded

Welds ground off.

Awe the sweet smell of rust!

Rocker Removed

More cutting

Rust cut out

New Metal welded in.

Brace added.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote