View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #24
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Thoughts on my new motor build

600-700 n/a from a 327 is going to take a comp-eliminator budget ($30-40k range from drain plug to aircleaner bolt) I'm not even going to comment on the forced induction as that's not my thing. many MANY guys here WAY better versed in forced induction than I. Let's hear from them.

600 n/a SBC is about as easy as picking up the phone these days, but base it on a 400 block and you will be WAY ahead of the game and on your way to 700. 700 starts getting into your pocket pretty deep, especially when your limiting yourself to the small cubes. For my money a 302, 327 or even 350 is something that you only consider because of a nogalsta thing,, or to fit in some specific class rule. When you can order a Dart SHP block for $1300, and a 434 rotating assembly for around $1200,, you have a STOUT 700hp platform that won't take massive RPM's to get there. Add a set of the new Brodie STS 233 cnc heads for around $2200 and 700 is as easy as .7 lift and 6200rpm.

But,,, you asked about 327 so......

In the end only ONE THING will make n/a power,, HEADS. Pick a budget for heads, then double it. And seriously,, this is one area that the worn out old thing of 'speed cost, how fast do you want to go' really applies. I've got a set of 23° AllPro's that I have just over $7k in,,, for 800 n/a HP. Then maintenance on those heads is an issue too. Springs, rebuild the rockers and new titanium valves every other year brings an average of around $1000 - $1500 a year in head maintenance (not counting oil, bearings or anything else for the motor,, just HEAD MAINTENANCE)

To make that kind of power with a 327 n/a is going to take RPM. So you better build a bullet proof 9000rpm rotator. Like I said,, it's starts getting in your pocket REAL quick. Ask any of the quick guys here sending these 3500+ pound trucks into the 9's,, and especially any doing it with a small block what their maintenance budget is. It may have you reconsider the goals, or the platform. There comes a point (gasp,, I can't believe I'm saying this) but you would be WAY better off with a pigblock,, I mean BIG block <grin>

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote