View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #93
silver7

Re: Project: Custom 71 4x4 hotrod

My upper shock tabs were here when I returned from my trip Thursday.

Yesterday I sanded my shock cross member welds flat as well as drilling 1/2" bolt mounting holes for it and my frame . I still struggle with underestimating the time it takes to cut, grind, weld and drill steel.

Today I noticed my lower shock brackets did not provide enough space in between my shocks when mounted so I had to start over. I hate it when that happens. After some corrective surgery and adding some flat washers I was finally able to get one lower shock bracket tack welded to my axle housing. Unfortunately, I have to travel again this week but I'll get back at it later this week.

One important point I failed to mention was when determining the location of my shock cross member I had to take into consideration the max and min stroke length of my shocks. I needed to make sure the shocks I used were near fully extended without weight on them so when I put the engine and body on it, and go to carry a load down the road it could compress under the additional weight. My SLF-85140 Superlift rear shocks had a max extension of 26" and a min extension of 16" (checked them myself to be sure). My shocks will extend to 22" mounted under no weight except for the frame so I have room in both directions..
Attached Images

Last edited by silver7; 02-07-2010 at 06:47 PM.
silver7 is offline   Reply With Quote