View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #194
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Got a couple hours to spend in the garage, so I did a little grinding, a little cutting, a little sanding...

Started working on the driver side door. I had thought it was in pretty good shape. And on the outside it really wasn't bad. The bottom had very small rust spots, but the lower corners were not so good. I probably could have let it go, just cleaned it up real good, seal it up with some kind of rust preventer, but decided I should try and do better than that.

I took off the handles, mirror, inside trim, etc. cut off the bottom outside and have to decide how I want to repair the inner part of the door. I have time to think on it, and I'll take a closer look at the other door before I do anything.

It started like this:

Then I cleaned it up with a wire wheel on the makita:

Then cut off the lower outside part:

Then sanded the rest of the outside to see if anything else was hidden, it was ok. Just a few spots from where the old farm truck mirror was mounted and a small dent. Oh yeah, the lower door hinge is kinda worn too.

I did more sanding on the fender I started on also. Basically scuffing off the second coat of paint and found a couple small repair areas. This will be an easy panel to prep for paint I think.

The cab isn't done yet, but I didn't really have time to mess with that tonight. I'm going to World of Wheels in St Paul tomorrow with the family.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 02-27-2010 at 12:47 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote