View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #35
lnwlfbsktbll

Re: Project 6.0 (my '87)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot305 View Post
Any way to get the 6L90 that came behind that LY6 from the donor truck? From the research I've done, the 6L80 and 90 are basically the same trans, with the 90 having a stronger output shaft. If the motor you have came out of a 07 2500HD it probably had a 90 too. I believe all you would need is the original wiring harness and ecu, which would control both the engine and trans. I'm not positive on that, maybe someone will confirm it for you. I'm doing the same swap, and have my eye on a LY6/6L90 complete takeout. The only thing holding me back on it is how to shift it. Do you have any ideas on what you're going to do about the shifter?
Everything you said is on par with what I've seen and the only reason i was leaning towards the 6l80 over the 90 was price and availability but both seem to be becoming more reasonable. I bought the motor almost a year ago so getting the donor's tranny is probably out of the question. I also need to get a dbw pedal that will work with my motor because it didn't come with one from the recycler. Shifting is one thing i have not worked out yet, I've considered pulling a column from a vehicle with paddle shifters but I don't know how to work that in. I remember hearing a while back that the 6l80/90 use a 4 position shifter like what a 700r4 would have and the computer shifts the overdrives if needed, but I don't know how true that is.

Build thread located at http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...5708&posted=1#
lnwlfbsktbll is offline   Reply With Quote