View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #167
v502

Re: 79 C10 swap with L92 with 6L90

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
that is a very common problem. mine has a hair line crack that i found after the fresh paint. there is a 4 wheel drive company that makes a brace that just bolts on after they fix it. its pretty cheap. i'll try and find the link
Sucks i didn't know that it was a common problem in these truck i would looked for it after the engine was out and fixed it up. Its hair line crack and it was fixed by the old owner if u see in the pics welds on outside and weld bead under the frame was done by the other owner. All my guy did was worked from the inside the frame and enforced it from inside with plate metals. There almost double the thickness now but when i took the pics he was just starting and i trust his expertise with this kind work so i hoping for the best I freaked out at first but he told me it be fine and that's its never going to be a problem again but i am going to show him the brace tomm and see what he says if add that over his work for the extra insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
No point in weld repairing a high stress area then grinding it all down to try to make it look unmodified. It will be weaker than stock and fail again shortly. I had this problem with a 70 Chevelle. It kept cracking even when stress relieved and annealed. The metal in the area was just fatigued and needed replaced. I got another frame an never had a problem again.

Your best bet is to find a clean frame for sale or a truck that needs work and swap frames out. As long as you have the title for the donor any check of the partial VIN numbers will be OK as you have proof of ownership of both trucks.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/1637692804.html

I'm sure there are plenty more closer to home for you in the Portland area.

You are going to spend a lot of money transporting this truck to your dad. It would be a shame to have it black listed over $700 worth of parts.
Thanks 68TT for the advice but i cost me a lot of money so far i am getting almost broke I am not saying your wrong i would defiantly done that if i was working on the truck myself but i doing all the work at a shop that charges me $50 an hour but he is excellent shop with more than 25+ in machine work and welding. I couldn't work on the truck my self when i bought it cause i didn't have appropriate place or a garage and not enough expertise on welding and didn't own that much tools. So this is the best route according to my budget and i sure it be fine if i get the brace over whats work was done already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
I think this will fix you up. Their crossover steering kit uses a 2wd steering box so I think it would work...

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm

Good luck.

Thanks a lot MTCK I giving them a call tomm.
v502 is offline   Reply With Quote