View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Houston54

Re: Any steering issues with 454s?

Too much drama. Let me offer the following before the tar gets too hot. My posts point out some elements that ANYONE thinking about a project should consider before starting something on the scale this person was promoting.

1. Have you graduated high school? (If "No" you need to focus on getting that out of the way)
2. Do you have a steady job? (If "No" then you will have a hard time funding a project. Even the scale alluded to in this thread will cost a couple thousand)
3. Do you have a garage? (If "No" then you will have a hard time keeping things protected from theft or further decay among several other reasons that should be obvious to anyone who had done a project)
4. If married is it a "good" one? (If "No" then you might want to budget a lawyer into the project or allow her to spend an equal amount on anything she wants)
5. Have you researched how to do this project? (If "No" then you will find many of the issues related to putting a V8 into an AD truck have been discussed with great detail, advice and information on problems)

Did the author come back on any of these questions? The answer is No.

The initial post in the thread contained this:
"Also concerned about the extra torque or weight, wondering if it puts any extra stress on the frame or old school leaf suspension.

Any input would be appreciated."

followed later by this:
Man that sounds like a pain in the butt to put a SBC or BBC in this truck >: ( I don't wanna put in IFS since it costs a good bit and I have absolutely zero welding skills or hot rod building skills. However, I can swap a motor assuming it's only bolt ons...

This is just not safe. At this point we have no idea of this person's age or capabilities as his profile provided zero information. Assuming this person is serious about the build and actually looking for input I would think he could have justified his position/plan and his desire to make this happen.

Had that been the case I would be among the first to try to point him in the right direction towards a safe ride. However he has departed and I am being pilloried as a bully. Hindsight lets me surmise this person was a youngster who was dreaming but he did not identify this. Instead he enters into discussion on an open forum with plans that would result in an unsafe vehicle in my opinion. I wish him well on his project but hope he gets the direction needed.

To those who feel I am grossly at fault here I offer my apologies.

To those who know me and may understand my motives my apologies for having put needless drama on this board.

Last edited by Houston54; 04-14-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote