View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #23
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Re: Any steering issues with 454s?

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Matt, there are a number of forums on the net. Stovebolt.com is one, JalopyJournal.com has a forum with an active AD social group, there are other social groups on Killbillet.com and beyond.

As to your question, yes, there are threads out there on the net to put an SBC in with the stock suspension. It isn't a simple bolt on because the truck was designed around the width of an I6. An I6 isn't a cheap rebuild, however, so you may want to look into a few things.

1. As I mentioned the steering box is in the way.
This can be overcome by moving it over via spacers OR by eliminating it and going with a 73/87 box. This is something you can do research on and most likely purchase from another member of this board over on that forum. I got mine at a junk yard last weekend. Took about 20 minutes to remove and that was because the darn steering arm was ON there. I beat on the pickle fork for about 10 of that 20 minutes. I got P/S box and lines and mount for a V8 for like $50 and the steering shaft to the column.

I got an end to a column so I can have a flat milled in mine and make it fit the shaft I picked up. There are posts around and even a magazine article on how to do this.

2. Shift the engine to the passenger side.
This is for more steering clearance. It can be done by using the mounts you are looking at (tubular) and not centering it when you cut off the excess pipe! Simple.

3. Trans cross member.
You'll probably make one of these or buy one of the kit ones. Easy enough.

4. Open rear end.
Research on this one. A Tri-5 Chevy car is a bolt in with 5 lugs. You can use '54 Chevy car front hubs to go to 5 lugs here as well. You can stay with 6 lugs, too. It is completely up to you but there are SO many more wheel choices for 5 on 4 3/4" (just about all Chevy cars and S10s had this).

5. Driveshaft
A decent shop can make you one for about $200. You might be able to find them in a junk yard that will fit but...make sure it's a right fit.

6. Front suspension. A SBC isn't much different in weight than a stock 235, believe it or not. The obvious difference is POWER. A 100 hp 235 vs a 300 hp 350 is going to put a bit more stress on parts (duh!) and the suspension is an old type. The frame is a C channel and you may want to contemplate boxing it. This is where it gets expensive and you need to decide how you'll run it and what you want from it. If you're just looking at a mile driver, what the heck, improve what is there with new bushings and shocks, tighten up the steering, and run it. It isn't a Z by any means but you already knew that...

7. BBC.
A 79 Suburban BBC is still a smogger. 200-250 HP. Not worth it in my book. You can score a running 350 for $500 with a TH350, maybe a 700R4. If it is something bigger than that, you are still looking at extra weight and fuel and size. I've not messed with a BBC in a stock set up so I'm no help here. I do have a built 396 that is now a 402 going into a '49 1 ton panel but it has a '79 heavy half front suspension under it (which is too wide so I've got some work to do there).

8. Welcome.
And remember ADD starts with AD. And the '54s are the ginchiest!

Last edited by Dan Bowles; 04-15-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote