View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #2486
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
Do you have a pin pull gun at home?
the bodyman I used to work with would use his pin pull gun on high spots to shrink them.
we welded in some flush mount door handles on a firebird, and I bet he put 50 shrinks in a 4X7 area..
Mine is at work and it does seem to work good as long as you know what to do. I guess I need to practice and get on youtube to see how people do it. I've had 3-4 people show me and each one had a different wayof doing it. Like body work I've seen different ways people do things and adapt it to my style. I just don't do enough metal shrinking to get good at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
I've been working on my truck this past week. I needed to finish the drip rail shaving and flaring. I ground some paint off the roof and found an inch of bondo. I ground it off, and started to shrink it. My friend that owns a Body Shop and is a master in metal work gave me some tips on shrinking. He said don't get it cherry red, and start from the inside of where the low spot is. Then spot cool it a little at a time. It seemed to work and took some time. Now it's only about a quarter of an inch low in only one spot. I think it OK for Bondo now. I'm impatient. My friend said he'll come up and give me a lesson. I'm going to hold him to it.
I might need to fly out for that lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
I gave him a FORD tailgate that I was installing on a FORD bed that was on a Chevy Truck. He shrunk the FORD raised lettering to a flat panel. He blew me away. It looked like he replaced it with a new metal panel.
Got any pics of that. Maybe you could video it if he schools you.

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 04-24-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote