View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #2511
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
Progress is progress Alan.. Im sure you will figure out the shrinking issue. thanks for posting the wheels and rolocs you use. keep at it my friend!
Thanks Heath, practice, practice and more practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkndsdl View Post
Thanks, Alan! How do you grind the weld down, with the grinding wheel 90 degrees to the weld, on the edge of the wheel or does it matter? Also, how and what is your 1407 grinding pads attaching to? As you can tell I am a greenhorn to the tools of the trade.........
I grind perpendicular to the weld. Stay off the sheetmetal if you don't need to be there. Once I hit sheet metal I go to the 1407 to finish it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
QUOTE=Bkndsdl;3943274]Thanks, Alan! How do you grind the weld down, with the grinding wheel 90 degrees to the weld, on the edge of the wheel or does it matter? Also, how and what is your 1407 grinding pads attaching to? As you can tell I am a greenhorn to the tools of the trade.........[/QUOTE]

They are called Roloc Mandrels.... the 1407 are roloc discs so they screw onto the mandrel via a plastic nub.
Thanks for the help Heath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkndsdl View Post
thanks guys........sorry for hijacking, Alan.
It's not hijacking if you are learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
I wouldn't call it hijacking. We are all here to help.

Quote:
There's no end to buying tools.
Sorry Allan, now we are hijacking.
Amen brother to the tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Alan, you might try using a slapper shrinking file rather than the hammer. My "old goat" (he's 72) uses this, and he can fix dang near anything. They come flat, so he heats it up to make a handle. You hold it fairly loosely do is slaps the metal to shrink it, and use it off dolly.
I got a couple of those from an old timer that retired and haven't used them yet. I got on youtube and couldn't find any demonstrations yet under "slapping file" or "metal shrinking". Did find some on the shrinking disc.

Quote:
I have a shrinking file, and a shrinking hammer, but don't know how to use them.
That reminds me, I have to call Mike to come up and give me a lesson.
That makes 2 of us. Don't forget to call Mike. I wish I started out young as a bodyman I would really be dangerous. I could have learned a lot from the old timers. There's not many around now, at least where I work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Custom View Post
Yeah and if you make it out alive he will actually help you fix that high spot on your forehead

This guy has some good ideas on basic body work tools. It's not me haha

This is another choice of mine. It's actually a 5" grinder, but I got the adapter to use the 2" and 3" roloc disc. I prefer to use it instead of a die grinder. It's a little heavier than a die grinder and more stable. Just my personal preference. There's nothing wrong with a die grinder just throwing out more ideas.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 04-27-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote