View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #21
cl08

Re: I figure it's about that time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoffice View Post
I haven't gone to get it from the shop yet. It's all mocked up and done, just need to throw some welds on it. I've been dealing with my daily driver (98 Cherokee) being down. It finally let go after 195k and so I just had to build a stroked 4.0 for it Now that it's back to drivin I should be starting my 4 link this coming week. I believe the 8.8 is only about 60" wide WMS to WMS whereas a normal 12 bolt is only 1 or 2" wider. So normal smaller tires is definitely an option. It's a great rear end, disc brakes, posi, 31 spline shafts, and easy to identify what's inside when you're at the junk yard. The little tag on one of the dif cover bolts tells you what's inside, for example, the one I got has 3 L 73 on it. The L means limited slip and the other numbers are the gears: 3.73. The downside to these axles are that they are still C-clip, and the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern. A guy could weld on the big bearing 9" outers if he wanted to, eliminating the C-clips. I have been doing a bunch of sanding on the inside of the cab this past week, hopefully get some primer on it today and shoot some paint this weekend. I uncovered a rotted out cab corner on the driver side unfortunately. Debating on getting the patch panel from LMC or just welding up the hole in it and gob it up with some fiberglass We will see how it plays out. My goal for now is to get the interior finished so I can just shut the doors and focus on everything outside.. I'll have updates and pics by Monday!
Yeah I would love a 3L73 (D2 axle code). I think the 4L10 (D4) would be good too, but I am going for highway miles so it might be a bit much. Better yet I will get one out of a v6 with an open 3.73 and just put a mini spool in it.

I know you are going to get alot more power from 6.0, but for a few years the stock 5.3 with a possible cam, stock 8.8 with c-clips will be fine for me. I had a 5.0 poontang close to 400hp that had 3.73 gears with the c-clips and I never had a problem. I am sure I was border line breaking it.

Post the pics up when it goes in. I am either going this route or impala/caprice brakes.

I also am going to the boss 338 route, I will machine the hell out of the wheel or disc doesnt matter to me. I have access to some huge lathes/free labor so truning some stuff down is no problem. I know you want the wider wheels, but I really cant see that wheel fitting your truck. Maybe without that center cap. BUT hey to each his own, prove me wrong.

Your truck is tits.

Last edited by cl08; 04-29-2010 at 11:43 AM.
cl08 is offline   Reply With Quote