View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #23
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Re: 53 BURBAN barn find

I've seen the swap but not made it myself and don't have any pictures of it. My own Suburban sits on a basically stock frame and suspension and I'm in no hurry to change it. Its a driver the way it is and I enjoy driving it too much now. I have had it for eight years and with every passing year have increasingly radical thoughts on how to modify it, and less inclination to make any changes.

I have many projects and this one truck has been my most reliable classic driver over the years. I really need one I can drive and enjoy for those days when the others are driving me nuts. Plus the pile of patch panels waiting to be installed looks like a two or three year project to me, so starting it means its out of service a while. At the pace I work it could be five to ten years.

Today I'd bet that I never really change the suspension beyond adding power steering. My clutch leg isn't what it used to be so I may go automatic. That could lead to a V-8 but don't hold your breath.

What S-10 kit is only $595? I'm aware of two kits and both are far more money than that.

If you study the difference between Suburban/panel body mounts and pickup bed mounts you'll see there are some angle brackets on the stock frame. Replicating those on the S-10 frame should not be a big challenge for anyone who can fabricate. If I wanted to put the Suburban on an S-10 that is the approach I'd take.

Search here for Jeffs51Chevy and you'll find a nice diagram showing how to make the cab mounts that would handle the front of the Suburban. His is a pickup project, but again most of it is the same.

I hope to visit the Portland area in July or August. Perhaps we can arrange a visit and talk in person about your project? My parents live just off McLaughlin so I'd almost certainly be close to West Linn at some point.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote