View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
hotrod_991

Re: 77 longbed "overbudget" build

Thanks for the support guys. And I have more pics of the truck just have to find time to upload them with tryn to pack up the wife and get her moved to TX and all. For an update tho I did get the motor all hooked up and running. Ran into more than our fair share of issues already tho. Chased down water leaks, fuel leaks, and oil leaks and seems like everytime we get one fixed something else leaks lol. We finally got her all sealed up and i dorve it to town. Enjoyed it for the evening then the next day could hear the rockers doing the loose dance under the hood . So back out to the shop we go to adjust.
once I get the tho house and we pull the valve covers and try to roll the motor over we find that the bolt running through the middle of the crank pully into the balancer is striped out and i can pull it out with my fingers :O. Dad ended up having another one. (it always seems like he has every bolt you could need in a bin some were). While dad was adjusting rockers i was installing the new tach, fuel gauge and the floor shifter.
Got all the rockers adjusted and the polly locks tight and went to put the valve covers back on. Enter the new problem: now the covers wont seal! This is the third set in two days and the last ones were sealed so perfect it pained me to have to take em off to adjust the valves. So this morning I ran a bead of red RTV gasket maker around the cover to try and fix the leak. Its not the right way to do it but I have to leave for TX tomarrow so hopefully it will work till i get home then ill change the gaskets again. Well all of the work we did on the truck yesterday was the most fun because the shop had the vette in it getting painted so we were out side working through a rain storm. I took a tarp and laid ot across the open hood and drapped down over the bumper turning the from of my truck into a tent and that actually worked perfectly and we kept on truckin.
I will have to get a few pictures of the exhaughst to post also. Its 2.5 straight sticks into 2 chamber THrush fully welded mufflers and dumps right before the axle lol loud as all hell that for sure but the cam makes of sound bas a$$!! Cant keep the wife from starting the truck all the time haha. Well I will quite blabbin for more look for pics in the next few days guys and god bless.

"of course it will hold!, I welded it!"

1977 c10 under knife for full rebuild, 5.3l 4l60e drive rain swap, replacement frame and green repaint
hotrod_991 is offline   Reply With Quote