View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #349
cokeb

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

OH my where do I start?

Saturday night my son calls and says the brakes on his 71 are locking up, meet him at the truck so I can drive it home get to about 15mph the engine starts to load truck slows to the point its barely moving I lift off the gas and shortly after it seems normal, this repeats 3 more times in the half mile to get home, I idle down my street and everything seems fine, pull the drums and everything looks fine except the right rear axle seal has a small leak, while spinning one wheel my son thinks he hears a clicking sound in the rear end.

Sunday, go to pull the inspection cover off but the track bar needs to come off first,good time to install the new track bar bushings we bought, easy right? nope, some idiot has beat on the end of the rear end stud to the point that the end of the stud is mushroomed over the nut, take the nut off the other side of the stud and drive it out of its tapered hole. finally get the inspection cover off and every thing looks normal, frustrated at this point I take the day off and head the race track for some R&R.

Monday, try to get the nut off the track bar, I decide to cut out the washer and lock so I will have space to run the nut in then I can cut off the end of the stud, the nut wont budge, after hours of trying everything I know (which isn't much) I decide to score both sides of the nut with a cut off wheel so I can split the nut with a chisel, an hour later I have the nut removed, threads chased with a file a new nut on ( Boy, look at me, I'm moving now!). pull the right axle to replace the seal and find half of one roller in the bearing is missing.

Tuesday, after work stop to pick up a bearing and find out they have to order one in, head home to pull the bearing and decide to replace the other seal while it is a part. while messing with the rear end my son realizes the drive line will only rotate in one direction, hmm? lets drop the drive line to make sure I'm not missing something and confirm the yoke will rotate both directions, I know, your thinking easy enough, wrong! pull the U-bolts and drop the carrier bearing only to find out the drive line wont move forward enough to clear the yoke! seems the slip yoke is bottomed out against the out put shaft.

I thought this was supposed to be fun?

Last edited by cokeb; 06-16-2010 at 02:10 AM.