Thread: no spark
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #19
trz1000

Re: no spark

If you're going HEI in the near term just do it now and get this headache behind you. You'll have to do some re-wiring and static time the motor to go HEI so you'll eliminate some of your potential problems by default. Why go through all the trouble to get the points working if you're going to scrap the system anyway?

The electrical system on these motors is not very complicated but nevertheless, wiring diagrams are very helpful, indispensable really. If you don't have them, print out the diagrams I linked to before or go buy a service book (Haynes, Chilton, factory service manual, etc.).

I'm not an HEI guy, I run MSD pro billets so I won't be much help but there are plenty of guys here that have done it. Try a search, I'm sure there are plenty of threads on it.

Don't get discouraged, I can't count how many times I asked myself why I bought this POS while wrenching on my Jimmy in the last few months. Bought it in February and it's been a knockdown drag out ever since. Did body mounts, found I had a bunch of shimming to do. Replaced front cab supports and torsion boxes. Chased down a huge tranny leak (ended up the fluid was weeping out around the dipstick tube). Got tired of sorting through the hacked wiring so redid the whole rig. Welded up new bumpers. New ignition system and carb. Fabbed up a complete exhaust system. Lots and lots of cleaning, floor shifter, seats out of a 68 couger, started to align every body panel and undoing a lot of the PO's handywork.

Still have tons of work to do, couple spots on the floor, sound deadener, carpet, and stereo. Panels need more alignment work. Oh yeah, have to do some work on the windshield frame. That'll probably be one of the few things I'll contract out.

Been looking for one of these for a long time, this one came up for a real good price so I jumped on it. Prematurely as I have a Galaxie project on the rack and a tractor project taking up the rest of my shop. So I did all of this in half of my garage laying on the floor or sitting on the passenger side inner fender. Took a lot of fun out of it, but I had a short time line to get it on the road so did what I had to to get the job done.

But Sunday I finally got the torsion boxes welded in and the top off and I'll tell you what, every headache, busted knuckle, and burn was well worth it. I don't think I've stopped smiling since taking it for the first cruise topless.

So hang in there and keep cracking on it. There is nothing like the satisfaction of solving a big problem that you almost gave up on.
trz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote