View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #45
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: show your67 72 chevy spot light trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
I have a friend who has called Unity a few times...he has restored a few old police cars...and needed spotlight parts. Unity can be pretty helpful if you get a good person on the phone. They have access to lots of information that may not be available on the website. They also told him that if you order a vintage bracket that is not in stock, they can actually make them from scratch (in one case it was a RH bracket for a '72 Fury and it turned out beautiful)! I am amazed at how supportive Unity is for the classic/antique market.

Keep in mind that there are significant differences in the bracket with the curve for the pillar and the angle at which the light mounts and protrudes, both on the X and Y plane. Also the shaft arm length varies (longer/shorter depending on application). So both of those parts need to be exactly right for the application. And Unity should be able to tell you this.

And by the way, there is no difference between a GM branded light and the Unity light. It's just an extra detail to have have the GM topper tag. Otherwise the parts are exactly the same as any other Unity light. Often times after 40 years, the original GM light rusted, broke, or fell apart, and could easily be replaced by stock Unity replacement parts. So that's why you may see a mixture of parts out in the wild.

On most police cars (old and new), there is an option code for this. But I'm not sure about the trucks.

Does anyone have a spotlight on their truck that shows up on the SPID?
Thanks for your input Tom....and yes you are right a phone call would be the best route it would take a lot of the guess work out.
Apparently these spotlights were dealer options, and would therefore not be on the SPID.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote