View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 11:16 AM   #13
solidaxel

For those of you who have a sub frame just for grins and chuckles measure the spindle bearings on the chevy then measure the Mll bearings and you will see a great difference the Mll is larger. If you drive in the city and do alot of parking in small lots the rack and pinion is the only way to go. I drove a Camaro for many years and to date I have over 10 years on the 55 with the Mll front suspension with power R&P and I will take Mll anytime. I am in the process of rebuilding the truck now and the only changes I am going to make is a little harder bushings for the upper A-arms (PST) the ball joints are showing little or no ware. The front discs and calipers are from a Chevelle that is how I discovered the size difference on the bearings Mll, is much larger dia. than the Chevelle wheel bearings.
Bob as you know any IFS front is a great improvement over that buggy sprung solidaxle, and I thing that Camaros were made just to be recycled into the 47 to 55 Pick ups. everything fits from the rad. to the rear spring hangers.
You said that you were using a Sag. gear box , is a 4-spd. what shift linkage did you use? did it clear rhe seat when your are in 2nd or 4th. I have one and I was going to replace the broken B-W 4-spd. with one (Sag.) but it looks like the stock linkage sits to far to the rear on the tail shaft and it would interfer with the seat? Always looking for good ex. for a Tremac 5-spd. !!!
Will that sag. hold up to the HP of your engine, I thought they were too weak to take any torque?
Welcome to the BOARD and what a sweet ride you have put together
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote