View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Re: 56 pro touring build

I found a guy in the next town that had the front of a cab he was getting rid of. I went over and picked it up for $20. It had those fender mounts that I needed and spare sheet metal that we could use for the firewall fill. We started to cut them off (fender mounts) and clean up our mess and then attach them.

We than started to smooth the firewall. Looked at Kawbe's build and got the nerve up to shave it off. He pulled it off and it looks GREAT, but then again he is a metal smith.

Start by welding up the seam from the inside and then cutting the lip off a little bit at a time and tacking. It looks OK, but I am not thrilled. I guess that is what body filler is for. You have your firewall, internal and external cowl coming together at that point. Interesting work and time consuming. We will see how it comes out.

At this point we contemplated getting everything soda or garnet blasted. I hear soda because it does not warp the metal but it does not get the rust from the inside of the fenders. What would you guys suggest? I found a guy that comes to your house to do it and he cleans up the mess as well. The body looks good and straight from the outside and inside. We hate to take the paint off, but if we are going to do it right, I guess it has to go.
Attached Images

hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote