View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #20
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: 67 C10 lwb to K10 swb conversion project

After I picked up the "new" seat for the 67 I decided to be brave and remove the carpet to see how bad the rust really was. Up until now I had left it in place not wanting to know. Ignorant bliss.

I knew the tunnel had shifter holes cut in it and there were spots on the driver side where I could see daylight but just didn't want to deal with it.

Turns out it isn't as bad as I thought. Definitely needs the driver side front section of the floor pan replaced and the kick up area on the passenger side is thin but not rusted all the way through yet but needs replaced too.

The passenger side rocker and inner rocker are rusted through and the driver side rocker has been crushed so it probably needs both too. A little cancer at the floor to rocker transition area so the outer edges need replaced.

Saw that the bottom of all four outer cab braces need replaced on the support structure while I was under there fitting the cab to the K10 chassis so those all need replaced too.

The area under the seats is in great shape as is most of the passenger foot well area.

I am going to keep my eye out for a better cab at the wrecking yard but I can make what I have serviceable with pieces from the K5 floor pan to keep me from falling through the floor while getting this thing on the road and working all the bugs out of it.

When it comes time for body work and paint I hope to have found a good cab to work on by then and can have it ready to bolt onto the frame before I take the truck off the road to limit down time.

I found what was left of the build sheet behind the back seat and another partial document under the seat that said a dealers name in Seattle and the Fremont build plant on it. I will see if I can get a decent pic of it tomorrow. It is stuck under the seat springs and I would destroy it trying to get it out.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote