View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #152
SCOTI

Re: Mcgaughys Big Brake Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN View Post
We don’t currently offer a 13” rear brake and we are not planning on it until we have a 14” front brake. The rear brake should be smaller than the front. You do not want the rear brake to lockup and skid. This will cause the truck to spin out of control. Here is a typical example; I bought my Jeep used. It has 12” front disc with 11” rear drums. The rear drums were a special ordered option. The rear always locked up under medium to heavy braking. I tried different adjustable proportioning valves, but always had a problem. The MCPV1 master cylinder worked. It turns out that the rear drums lock up at 350psi so the MCPV1 is adjusted to rear max pressure of 325psi. With this set up my Jeep actually stops super good. I’m very curious is anyone actually driving around with 13” front and 13” rear brakes? How do they actually work? Does the rear lock up first? We would like to know before we start producing larger brake kits.

Thanks, Danny Nix
CPP
My GF's BMW w/14" F/R discs doesn't seem to have any issue w/rear lock-up .

I would investigate selling a matching 13" rear kit for use w/that MCPV1 since it's adjustable. At least try a set for evaluation.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-03-2010 at 12:46 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote