View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: Adjusting Camber & Caster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
eightbanger,
Not sure what Caster and Camber is but since I restored my Sons 69 Longfleet we replaced everything up front with new and now it looks like an Old Man with Bad Knees. The top of the tires are way in and the bottoms are way out. I think I can adjust them with the shims that go on the top A Arm but have never messed with this. I usually just take it to the local Alignment shop but I have spent so much money on this thing that spending money has become and issue. I know that adjusting Toe in or Toe out is adjusted with the Tie Rods and the shims should take care of the Old Man Knee Look. Ive heard that you need to either go out farther or in farther at the top of the tire so when you set in the truck it settles to the right alignment (Not sure which one it is). I probably should just take this thing to the alignment shop and get beat up about the money later.
JRBECK64
Thanks JRBECK64 I did have the Toe in/out corrected at the alignment shop so that is as it should be, I just have this whole added problem were no British alignment shop will take on anything like Caster/Camber on a 71 Chevy C10, my Truck is a complete unknown to them, hell, they would not have done the Toe if they hadn't found the settings on there Computer. In a way this is all good as i've already learnt so much about tracking our Trucks i'll be able to do the complete alignment myself, and down the road I may invest in a few proper tools to help do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
one thing to check is to the get the wheels straight and measure from the lip of the front to the lip of the rear rims just to make sure things are Square also take a quick look at the shims on the Upper control arm the stack that's in there should be pretty close to even......

and remember that any adjustments to the control arms will reflect on the toe...I measure up off the floor as high as the under carriage will allow and mark the tires at that height on the front and rear side then measure across the front and then the rear the front should be about 1/8 to 1/4" narrower giving you a bit of toe in
Did all of this this morning before I saw your post Jeff...This is what I did. With the Truck level and the steering straight I measured across the tires at the front I got 70 3/4"....at the back I got 70 7/8" so this shows the alignment guys got it right as I have 1/8 Toe in which is where it's supposed to be.
Then I used a couple of my levels and got an idea how much my Camber was out.....

Passenger side

Drivers side

Last of all was the Caster and GMC had said....
Quote:
"measure between the lower ball joint and a control point (symetrical hole) on the frame, somewhere around the front cab mount. This won't give you a caster measurement but, will let you know if the front wheels are both evenly forward"
I did this and from top of the lower B/J to the forward edge of front cab mount bracket D/S was 29" and the P/S 29 1/2"....so I know that on the vertical plain looking at the wheels side on which is Caster my wheels are out by 1/2".
The next thing to do is loosen off the upper control arms and add or subtract Shims to correct the Camber/Caster on both wheels,

Doing this will alter the Toe in/out again, so for speed I can just pop back to the Alignment guys and have it reset.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 08-10-2010 at 10:07 AM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote