View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
shimp

Re: front brakes: 1" vs 1.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb85 View Post
I actually bought a nice "kit" with shackles/hangers & spindles. What bit me is that my truck originally came with 1" brakes, so I ordered spindles for 1" brakes without measuring my rotors......but it turns out at some point before I got the truck, someone put 1.25" brakes on it and I didn't find out until I got in there. I couldn't return the spindles, so I had to replace the rotors/hubs, wheel bearings, calipers and brake lines just to make the spindles work! On top of that, my ball joints and tie rods were trashed when I got in there, so I had to rebuild most of the front end. On the back end, the 4" drop made my drive shaft too long so I had to have it shortened and rebalanced. Moral of the story, don't ASSume anything and measure EVERYTHING first.

I used to lower a lot of trucks, and this is a typical issue. Most all C10's have 1.25" brakes in my experience. I think the only C10's with 1" brakes would have to have been the 6 cyl trucks. I guess there should be a "lowering FAQ" here on the forum that has information like "be sure to actually measure your brake rotors before orderering drop spindles" might save someone some headache.
1982 Chevy C30 Crew Cab 2wd LWB - Beater Truck
(I have more!) Too many to list!
shimp is offline   Reply With Quote