View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
RuralRoute C-30

Re: Building a Garage, Few ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly4503 View Post
Heres a quick idea I'm thinkin of doin, kinda 2 birds one stone thing, as I was going to put a patio in someday, figure might as well do it in one shot.
Consider forgetting or really downsizing the patio and add the space to the interior. Along the left( of your picture) maybe along that long wall have a smaller bathroom version with an interior shop/office inside the shop, essentially a 10' x 16' workshop/ room rectangle with tools and bench etc. and a bathroom attached. Above this a storage loft.With that "rectangle in the box" in that corner, allowing for an exterior walk door, the rest of the space is open shop. Also this room could support an ac unit for a place to go when it's hot on smaller projects.

Consider outlets every 6' and also in the ceiling and up high for television and/or retractable drop cords. Don't forget 200 amp service, hard line air lines on the wall, lights and the list can go on as far as the imagination/budget allows.

Never think 'too big'...it will always be too small no matter what the size!

I have a 10 x 10 overhead too. You may want to allow about 4' on each side so when you drive in and park just inside the door it allows easy walk-around of the vehicle.

Did the "build a shed" back in the 90's with a 30'x 48' and still am working on details. It never ends. If I did it over again I would have planned more. But today it is close to what I want. Never worry, it will always be your money pit but hopefully something will be inside to show for it!

Good Luck and enjoy the process! There are a lot of good products today to heat and add interior space comfort that wasn't around when mine went up. Consider letting natural light in as much as you can securely if possible with clear panels on the roof or walls. It really does make a difference. Electrical fresh air intake and exhaust is a nice too.

Enjoy the process!

If I ever build a home it will start out as a machine shed in the country, then a home will be built inside with the shop attached in the same building...granted I probably will be single if that ever happens! Yet when it is assessed by the tax man for property taxes...it will be "just a 'simple' machine shed".

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 08-13-2010 at 07:35 PM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote