Thread: HID convertion
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
Skratch

Re: HID convertion

I guess I'm just at a loss here, why would anyone want to deliberately build an illegal headlight set up?
Aftermarket HID's are not street legal in almost all localities within the US, those lenses are not designed for those lamps . . . they were specifically designed for a 9006 lamp and only a 9006 lamp.
Most aftermarket HID "upgrades" seem to push the 6000K or higher color temperature lamps . . . 4300K is the factory HID ct and is the only one considered legal for on-road use here in the US.

I have similar, but DOT/SAE approved (Hella , lenses on my 87 with the use of a triple relay setup and quality Silverstar Ultra bulbs I put out more light (Lumens), focused where it's supposed to be and it's 100% street legal.

I wanted to use the same lenses you have on my 90 as well, but LMC won't reply to my requests for information on whether or not they are DOT/SAE approved.

So I have two questions;
1. Can you tell me if those lenses are DOT/SAE approved (usually stamped in the glass)

2. What color temperature did you choose for your HID lights (they look rather blue in the photo)

'86 Fiero SE 2M6 (undergoing a Northstar swap)
'87 1/2t 4wd Suburban (4" lift with built 1t axles and beadlocks)
'90 3/4t 2wd Suburban (Tow Rig)
'94 3/4t 4wd G20 Van (Toasted tranny and rusted)
'96 Deville
Skratch is offline   Reply With Quote