View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #28
Mil-Spec

Re: BREAKAGE: Wanna know what causes this?

Alright a little update. I was able to find a complete 3/4 ton 10 bolt out of a 78 for $50 bucks. It's dry on the outside and wet on the inside and is the same gear ratio as my original axle (GM 3988517 11 41 1 78). So I plan to disassemble and inspect.

As for the Insurance, after not hearing anything from them, I called repeatedly to multiple extensions until finally an agent of their's called me back. I was told that they are still in the Liabilty Investigation stage. Basically trying to ascertain who is to blame or what percentage of blame each involved party gets. I this case I think it should pretty straight forward considering I was laying bed at the time. They stated the main reason it's taking so long is that their policy holder involved in the accident isn't answering her phone nor is she returning their calls. So asked where that leaves me and they stated that they base their decision on the police report if nothing else. I said no problem I'll fax you my copy right now. That was last week so i'm gonna call tomorrow and see where things are and see if I can motivate them.

Here are some pics of the axle. Seals seem good, Hubs spin freely, Locks engage, Ball joints feel firm. I have noticed what seems like an abnormal amount of slop between the hubs and the pinion when turning the pinion. But I have no reference of what is considered normal. I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

U.S. NAVY 97-05
USAF 94-97
Mil-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote