View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #62
StingRay

Re: butt fit butt welded marker lamp install....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystoke View Post
Earl when you make your tack about how long are you on the trigger. I was checking out how to videos on youtube and this instructor was saying to count one thousand one, one thousand two. This seems like a pretty long time for just tacking sheet metal.
I'll chime in here. Like said every welder/weldor combination will be different. Take two scrap pieces and set them up with little to no gap. Make sure both sides are clean in the area to be welded. Try different set ups and trigger times. When you have a weld that just penetrates the back side with a little bump and the front side has a nice little weld and is prefreably in the flatter range than it is in the proud range of shape then you are set. At that point if you had a spot timer you could set that. Personally I judge by the color and size of the weld. You will get good at knowing you have a good spot weld after doing a few. I have found that the hot fast weld tends to be better for me and ends up with less distortion. You drive the weld through quickly and minimize the HAZ. It is also really easy to burn through though.

Last edited by StingRay; 10-28-2010 at 11:54 AM.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote