View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #20
raycow

Re: need recomendations on a 5sp for a 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreil View Post
So whats the cheapest way to do it?
If you presently have a bellhousing with a 5-1/8" center hole, the cheapest route would be to use a Dodge NV4500 and the 712550 adaptor plate. This will let you keep your existing clutch linkage. IMO, this is also the least work to install. The plate is about $275 from Advance Adapters.

If you don't have a suitable bellhousing, and are willing to (or want to) convert to hydraulic linkage, use a GM transmssion and a stock NV4500 bell that matches the year of the transmission. If you did the work yourself, I would think it shouldn't cost more than $200 even if you bought all new parts for the hydraulic conversion.

If you want mechanical linkage, use a GM transmission and an aftermarket bell like 712577 for 93-95 and 712576 for 96-up. Either bellhousing is about $400 from Advance.

An unmodified GM transmission will NOT work with the 712550 plate because its input shaft isn't long enough. You might be able to use a GM trans if you installed a Dodge input shaft and bearing retainer, but I don't know for sure about the parts interchangeability, so won't suggest this until I can find out more.

If you are wanting to build a 4WD truck, it will probably be cheaper to buy a 4WD NV4500 with the transfer case already married to it. This way, you won't have to worry about finding (and paying for) the right adaptor.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 10-28-2010 at 12:15 AM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote