View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #70
irish1966

Re: Pics of trucks in Primer Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
My truck had primer spots on it and looked blotchy for a long time. I just wanted it one color and had to be cheap since I was bringing in unemployment wages at the time. A nice enamel paint job will solve those problems.

If you’re going to shoot the truck with spray equipment, a water trap is mandatory, especially if you’re using a somewhat small compressor. They run almost constantly while spraying, get very hot and condense a great deal of water out of the air. It’s also cheap insurance to attach one of the plastic disposable water filters directly to the spray gun itself as well. They look something like this:

Amazon.com: 1 Disposable Mini Air/Water Filter Only Standard 1/4" Threads, Fits most Spray Guns and Air Tools: Automotive

Without water traps, it’s been my experience the gun will start spitting water droplets into the finish about 30 minutes into the paint job. Also try to use as short a hose as will reach and keep it off the floor as much as you can, as the cold floor can also condense moisture in the hose. Not sure what type spray gun you already have, but something automotive related will probably provide better results than something designed to paint fences or houses.

Undamaged air dry enamel will protect the metal for a many years, and in fact was one of the two industry standards for decades. The other being lacquer. The problem with using either of these paints today is if you eventually intend to repaint the vehicle using modern automotive paint. Whether the paint has fish oil as a component isn’t the issue. Modern catalyzed paints can attack and dissolve either of these older finishes, meaning (as you stated) everything has to go back to bare metal and start over. This isn’t a problem if you’re aware ahead of time. Who knows, like me, you might end up liking the cheap paint job enough you don’t have any interest in doing it over later.
Great advice Markeb. How long do those filters last? I'm planning on experimenting with some rustoleum paint and I am just curious.

66 LWB Fleet (on hold)
64 LWB Fleet (daily driver)
65 SWB Fleet (almost finished as a driver)
64 SWB Fleet (just started - "Tommys Hot Rods" tribute truck)
Nothing worth doing, is easy.
irish1966 is offline   Reply With Quote