View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #2706
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
if you want the wood to look a little richer. I would give it a thinned down coat of boiled linseed oil wipe it dry and I mean dry and give it a wipe every couple of hours as there will be some bleeding back from the grain. coat it the next day with polyurethane and follow up with a few more coats. prepare to sand it and recoat every couple of years if left in the weather
straight polyurethane will leave the wood looking lighter in colour . no sealer needed. sanding sealer just has more stearates(easier to sand) in it and makes the finish softer .
less crap in the finisher makes it harder. gloss is harder than satin(less inhibitors)
ron

oxalic acid more than likely would have removed those stains
Very good info, thanks. I guess I should have posted up the question on how to remove the stains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
looking good Alan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggamonsta View Post
I used helmsman (not sure on spelling) for all the clear finishes I have done on our salt water tank stands. So far everything has held up great (oldest is 3years now).

I also read somewhere to put a slight radius on the boards where the notch is cut out for the metal strips. They said it helps keep the clear coat from cracking and peeling on the hard edge.
Thanks for the product feeback. I also like the radius idea, it makes sense.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote