View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #77
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Steve,

That is perfect! I’ll take it!

Progress is being made albeit slower than I would like. Saturday my buddy got the passenger’s side floorboard and cab support patch panels all welded up while I wasted a boat load of time messing around trying to fit the ZF pump and hydrobooster lines. As it turns out, the ZF power steering pump assembly is bigger than my ambition to start cutting up the frame to make it fit. The ZF pump with the GM style adapter bracket makes the pump sit 3 inches lower than the stock P/S pump, which would drive the pulley right into the frame. That said, the ZF pump plan got canned as well as the huge class 8 truck P/S reservoir. The bummer was I had to pull the radiator out to gain access to the p/s pump pulley in order to remove it to get the pump off. Only to reinstall it a few minutes later once the ZF pump didn’t fit. The 8.1L package makes everything a pretty tight fit where 10 things have to be moved to gain access to one thing.

The plan now is to use the original p/s pump with OE style hydroboost hoses with a T in the return side being the original pump only has 1 return port. Of course that project, turned into a fiasco as well being the fitting on the hydrobooster is metric while the steering gear is standard so one hose had to be reworked. I am still waiting for the other hose to show up at Napa tomorrow.

Other than that, I installed the Super Bright LED bulbs in the cluster and the seats are getting dropped off at the upholstery shop tomorrow. Probably stab the transmission and tcase in sometime this week so I can start measuring the shafts to get them ready to be dropped off at the driveline shop. Next weekend we’ll start cutting up the floor and cab support on the driver’s side to get it ready for patch panel then it will be off to the Rhino Lining shop to have the interior floor sprayed.

Oh, yeah…I found the original grill brackets and an original 1977/78 Scottsdale grill in my attic that I scored a few years ago. I am kind of tired the 80’s chrome tube grill and anxious to see how the truck will look wearing it’s factory face again.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote