Thread: Berthas Build
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #25
dfairchild19

Re: Berthas Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Well, I guess if it came from the factory that way it should work. I never found a diagram showing a belt routing with those components, so when I was engineering mine (from scratch--no diagram) I did not like the 90* of wrap that I was getting on the compressor, but after seeing this I guess it is ok. I just like to see more, personally.

Before you do anything, hang the water inlet on the motor and make sure your tensioner mount/plate is going to fit you frame rail. I bet there is going to be interference. I hope not, but I think mine got all over the frame rail. Thus the reason I still have one....
I mentioned in an earlier post that one of the mounting brackets I have someone cutting for me is a tensioner bracket that is clearanced to help clear the frame rail. It was easy to miss so you may just have over looked it in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Ok, the more I think about this, the more that is coming back to me. I could not put a tensioner on the plate down there because of framerail interference. With that, take a look at your pic and without a tensioner right there the belt doesn't even come close to 90* of wrap. No good.

So, nothing changes for you. I guess I just wanted to prove that I can still remember things that happened before yesterday. Check that tensioner mounting plate for clearance and hope for the best.....
That makes a bit more sense why you did not go with this setup then if you could not make the tensioner work there as there would obviously be very little contact with the compressor pulley. I agree with you that 90 degrees still seems to be on the light side but the only reason I am trying to make this setup work is because of the diagram I found showing that it was done this way from the factory.

Even if the tensioner bracket does come too close for my comfort (in my case anyways) I will have the option of notching the frame where it is close and box it in with the rest of the frame and still not take away from the strength of the frame. This is one heck of an obstacle that I think I have figured out for right now........ And it feels pretty darn good!!!

Along with that, all of my Cummins parts came in yesterday for the mid mount a/c setup and I was able to pick them up at lunch. It was a pretty penny for all of this stuff but it really wasn't as much as I would have thought for all that I got in return.

The compressor will be here today(out for delivery), the alternator should be here today or tomorrow, and the motor mounts/crossmember, upper alt mount, and tensioner mount will all be here friday or early next week hopefully in time for christmas time off of work to get this thing moving once again!!!!
dfairchild19 is offline   Reply With Quote