Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #274
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Make it handle

I'd like to go back and touch upon rear sway bar mounting options with a trailng arm suspension. Some kits mount the bar across the trailing arms with the endlinks mounting on the frame rails (a la CPP), some mount to the rearend itself and the endlinks tie onto the frame, and there is the option of mounting the bar and endlinks onto the trailing arms, tying them together - like a 64-72 Chevelle rear bar. And then you have the blade type bars that mount above (usually) the rearend and the endlinks coming down attaching to the rearend.

It seems to me like mounting the bar to the rearend with the endlinks attaching to the frame, or the blade type that attaches the bar to the frame and endlinks to the rearend would work best at preventing sway in turns, but I have no evidence to back this up. I have the 1.25" bar from CPP on the front of my truck (with CPP tubular upper/lower arms) and a 15/16" rear bar from a mid 80's IROC-Z that I was planning on mounting to the bottom of my rearend with the sway bar arms pointing toward the rear of the truck with the endlinks attaching to the outside of the rear frame rails. I don't have much invested in the IROC-Z bar since it was a junkyard find, so I can change if need be, I just want to use whatever will work best.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote