View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #18
padresag

Re: My Detroit Diesel powered 61 K20 project!!

how many ft. alt are you starting at. with the compression that these engs have and the light duty truck it should hold it back pretty decently descending without a jake.
what are you running for a trans.. I did have a np 5 spd. od. in mine along with a 205 t/c(ind). the 3-4 split had to great of an rpm range which made it more difficult pulling a good load uphill. there were times pulling 16,000 lbs thru the fraser canyon that at the bottom of the hill that I would just put it in second and put it on the pin at 2950 and just let her go-no temp difference, but let them lug a little and that temp climbs pretty quick. these little motors can only do so much, but used wisely will pretty well do whatever that you ask of them.
I also did have a 4core rad with eng fan and an electric backup, which worked when required
in 18 years the only thing that I had to replace was an oil cooler that leaked into the rad.
dropped the pan once to replace the pan gskt and it was the cleanest eng that I have looked into
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote